Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

Moonlight night (13.12.2011)



13-12-2011 10:00

We had a beautiful night last night. Sunset was fantastic, a lot of us were standing outside and watching it. I was on watch so I didn't even have to get out, I was already enjoying it. When I went for my break, the moon stood not too high in a bleached white color.

After a 30 minute break, when I get back at lookout there is this bright orange ship miles in front of us. "Did you report that" I ask innocently,The answer is NO, why? Wellllll, my eyes were bad a long time ago, luckily for me they laser nowadays, but the bright orange ship hidden behind some clouds at the horizon was the moon. It slowly rose higher and higher until It found it's own place in the sky again. While watching this spectacular phenomenon, suddenly, the lights of the ship get turned on. Action-time.


We are about to set some sails,tie them up, turn sails to the other side, a little workout during the watch. I am putting on my gear, am allowed to help to fold the sails in front of the ship, I like that part, because you are standing in the net above the water and it is a bit exciting, even though it is not dangerous at all. After that part I try to help as good  as I can, but most of the time I am either too slow, or I am in the way. One day I get there and then I won't be standing there like furniture (nice furniture though) because I will know exactly which sails has to be set, what to brace or hoist. One of these days.............


Luckily for me I still have some time to be at the helm, (I really have to fight for that place, all those new guys want to do it as well )  before I have to go and wake the next watch. 

Waking everybody up is good fun........... you get nice compliments :-) Then it is time for a good long sleep, I am soooo lucky to get all the night-watches, but I don't mind there's a lot to see and to think about while being on watch. hi to everybody from the Europa

Anitra

No comments:

Post a Comment